Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Impact of Attitude on Life

My Fellow Americans,

I want to talk to you today about attitude and how it can affect every aspect of your life.  Please read the following quote from Charles R. Swindoll (photo: Google), an American writer and clergyman (source: Wikipedia).

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”

It's a lengthy one, I know.  However, I felt it was the best way to convey to you my thoughts for today.

Attitude shapes every part of our lives: from how we think about something to how motivated we are at our jobs.  We have seen attitude come into play with the economy, where hot shot Wall Street executives thought they were invincible.  We see attitude playing out in the healthcare debate, with Nancy Pelosi dismissing the Tea Party movement as "Astro-turf."  Everything and anything we encounter in life is related in some way (whether large or small) to attitude.

As Swindoll says, "...[L]ife is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."  Read that portion of the quote to yourself once more.  Now think about it.  It's so true.  The only thing we can control is how we react in any given situation.  What changes can YOU make in how you react to certain situations that may be unpleasant or uncomfortable?

Let me tell you something about attitude from my own experience.  I used to hate politics.  I told you about that when I started this blog.  Now, it's all I talk about.  I used to only care about watching sports.  Now, I watch Glenn Beck's TV show on the Fox News Channel religiously.  I can't get enough of it.

There was a time, however, that when people brought up politics, my mind went blank.  I would have a listless expression on my face and my eyes would glaze over.  I didn't care.  I didn't want to join the debate.  I didn't want to hear about the economy or the war.  I didn't even vote.

Then, in late 2008, my attitude changed.  I was introduced to Beck and Fox...to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.  I took an interest in the John McCain/Sarah Palin ticket.  I learned about what Barack Obama's beliefs toward taxes were.  And for once, I cared.  I saw how, if Obama were elected, he would increase my taxes.  As an aspiring small businessman and real estate investor, I saw this as a huge problem.  I wanted to learn more.

And learn more I did.  I read.  I listened.  I watched.  And I have been glued to the Internet, TV, and radio ever since.  I can't get enough. 

And how did all this happen?  My attitude had changed (for the better in my opinion).

Indeed, we are in charge of our attitudes.

Has there been a time in your life when your attitude changed about something -- whether good or bad?  Please, feel free to share your experiences with us.

Thanks,

The Refounding Father

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive