Friday, December 11, 2009

Quote of the Week & Commentary: Creamer Used 'Social Justice' to Justify His Means

"The first sign of corruption in a society that is still alive is that the end justifies the means."

My Fellow Americans,

We are coming up to the one-month anniversary of The Refounding Father on Dec. 16.  I want to thank all of you for your support thus far.  I'm having a great time putting this blog together and writing about our great country.

This week, our quote comes from Georges Bernanos (photo: Google):

Born in Paris in 1888, Bernanos was a French author, and a soldier in World War I.  Of Roman Catholic and monarchist leanings, he was a violent adversary to bourgeois thought and to what he identified as defeatism leading to France's defeat in 1940.

Because of his anti-democratic leanings and his allegiance to the Action Française (he was a member of their youth organization, the Camelots du Roi), from which he finally departed in 1932, he was able to see the danger in Fascism and Nazism (which he described as "disgusting monstrousness") before World War II broke out in Europe (Source: Wikipedia).

It's great what you can find when you type "quotes about corruption" in Google.  I found this beauty this morning and thought it tied in perfectly with one story in particular from earlier this week.  Can you guess which one I'm refering to?  Well, it's Robert Creamer and his book "Listen to Your Mother: Stand Up Straight! How Progressives Can Win."

The portion of the quote that is italicized is the focus of today's commentary: "...the end justifies the means."  It's funny, my mother always said this to me growing up.  I always thought it was B.S.  And today, for me, it is even more so.

While he claims his intentions were to support the cause and serve the greater good (what the left calls "social justice"), Creamer was involved in a "check-kiting" scheme.  As Glenn Beck noted on his TV show on Tuesday, "[b]asically, that's fraud."  Creamer stole $2.3 million from banks so he could pay his own $100,000 salary.

Do the ends justify the means there?  I don't think so.  Although, left-wing bloggers may say otherwise.

The "ends justify the means" philosophy, sometimes referred to as Consequentialism, comes from Niccolo Machiavelli (photo: Wikipedia).  He was an Italian philosopher/writer, and is considered one of the main founders of modern political science (Wikipedia).

My apologies for the brief philosophy lesson.  I do have a point.  Machiavelli "suggested and supported this pragmatic philosophy only for the purpose of stabilizing and improving governments" (read more here).  It was never meant for individual use -- especially not for "personal greed, profit, or self improvement."

Yet, that is exactly what we see happening -- especially on the left.  Robert Creamer is just one example.  But, time and time again we hear liberals using the term "social justice" to justify their means.

Let me make myself very clear: I am NOT a Republican.  I may vote Republican if I agree with a particular candidate's viewpoint (i.e. Ron Paul).  But, I consider myself a Constitutional Conservative.  The Republicans are just as guilty in many ways of corruption as Democrats are.

Don't let anybody fool you.  Don't blindly follow people when they speak in the name of "social justice." 

Watch what Obama, Pelosi, Reid, and Creamer DO, not what they say...because, sometimes, the ends don't always justify the means.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive